Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wonderful Aromatic Herbs


Each April the Herb Society of Nashville holds its Annual Herb & Plant Sale, which is where we purchased the herbs pictured. I love to buy my herbs from the plant sale because the quality of plants is so much better than that found in local retail stores. However, the plant sale is not for the faint of heart! If you prefer to leisurely wander among rows of beautiful plants and herbs, then this is not the place for you. The Annual Herb & Plant Sale is a frenzy of chaotic women (and some men) with an herbal agenda!

Held at the Tennessee State Fairgrounds, the plant sale opens the doors at 9 am, but if you want a decent place in line you'd better get there around 8 am. This year the line formed quickly and was about 400 strong. Some people may not understand the devotion that quality herbs can instill in gardeners, but the herbs are worth the long wait. The members of Herb Society of Nashville do a wonderful job of setting up the multiple tables of herbs. All are arranged in alphabetical order, but I wouldn't go in without a list. Plus, you can't get distracted by the first herbs in the door. Have list in hand & elbows at the ready! It doesn't hurt if you can drag your husband with you--this way he can hold the flats while you jump in the crowd and snatch your herbs. And believe me, snatching of the herbs is what happens.

Not only does the plant sale have a large variety of herbs on hand, but they also have members stationed throughout the building ready to answer any question you may have. On my list was a plant new to me--the nasturtium. I read that the nasturtium is good to plant among the garden to help ward off insects. The HSN member near the plants told me that they were her absolute favorite. After having mine a couple of weeks I can certainly see why. Nasturtiums have a vibrant bloom and the most wonderful fragrance. I wish that I had bought more!

I tried to keep myself in check, but the atmosphere can get to you. I came away with so many! Here's a list of what I bought: Sweet Basil, Red Basil, African Blue Basil, Italian Oregano, Greek Oregano, Hardy Hill Rosemary, Tuscan Blue Rosemary, Chives, Garden Sage, Purple Sage, Mint, Rue, and Nasturtiums. All will be mixed throughout the garden boxes and hopefully soon in some tasty dishes!

0 comments: