Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sudden Sunflower

The other day while weeding the garden I came upon this little guy. Just before I plucked him out of the ground I noticed he's not a weed. That's a sunflower! A couple of years ago Jason and I grew several giant sunflowers and they were absolutely beautiful. We so enjoyed the bees buzzing around the large sunflower heads. And as the heads dried we were able to watch the birds feast. One afternoon we looked out to see a squirrel sitting on the fence munching away at the sunflower seeds. The squirrel even took off with it! If the squirrel buried it there may have been a giant patch of sunflowers growing somewhere.

This year we've not yet planted our sunflowers. We plan to, just haven't quite gotten to it yet. That's why I decided to let this one continue to grow next to the squash plant. Jason and I assume that it was accidentally planted by one of our bird friends. I know that I'll eventually have to move it or just pull it up. But for now, it's just nice to see a sunflower growing again.

0 comments: